Pro Loco di Montecarlo
Pro Loco di Montecarlo
Dove c'è ospitalità

Pro Loco
In italiano



Lost Password?

Register now!


I monumenti


Sant’Andrea’s church was built in the first half of the XIV Century and it was completely restored at the end of XVII century (1783).
The things which belong to the old church of 1300 are: the part below the front, a part of the architrave of the antique portal and a section of the painted frieze which in times past was under the roof.What to see : in the BARDI-RUCELLAI chapel (the first one at the entrance) the DEAD CHRIST (CIVITALI school presumed) and the beautiful altar-piece painted in 1735 by FRANCESCO CONTI; then to the left, in the rich CHAPEL-SANCTUARY the XVth Century venerated image of the MADONNA DEL SOCCORSO (Aid Virgin) recently restored; in the room at the back the Rosary Chapel is the beautiful XVIth Century Baptismal Font, set in a fine classic architecture; a beautiful wooden statue, also this one recently restored, which represent Sant’Antonio Abate; in the Church on the balastrade which does up to the presbitery there are two marble “puttini” particularly valuable is the one to the right as you enter);the to the right of the presbitery altar a piece ascribed to ALESSANDRO TIARINI, representing the “SAN LORENZO MARTYRDOM”;in the sacristy another beautiful putto of “serena” stone and several interesting pictures.
The cupola (Mary’s coronation) and thefour panels which decorate the central nave (San Carlo, San Bernardo , Sant’Agostino and Sant’Ambrogio) painted in 1863 by PEZZATI and FOLCHI.
In the crypt there are XVth century frescos on the vaults and the fresco of “JESUS PASSION” painted in the first years of 1700, particularly remarkable is the big painting on the left wall which represents “THE LAST SUPPER”.


The Sant’Anna Convent was built in 1614, annexing the building is also the ancient Palazzo Pretorio (Magisterial Palace) (you can see the armorial bearings on the wall on Carrara Square, the oldest dates back to 1338) and some houses too during the first half of that century. In the little choir of the Convent Church there is the precious painting by FRANCESCO ANGUILLA in the first part of 1400 “MADONNA IN TRONO CON BAMBINO”.


The walls date to 1330, the best preserved part is the one which goes from Porta Nuova to the “TORRE DEL BELVEDERE”and to PORTA FIORENTINA and to PALAZZO SEGHIERI. The Gates of the Castle in ancient time were four: Porta Fiorentina : it was built with the walls but afterwards was made higher: the frontal merlons are still visible. Porta Nuova: it was opened and made higher in 1598. Porta a Lucca or Porticciola: was built and enlarged between 1570 and 1594. Porta a Pescia : probaly it was closed in 1500 when the Medicea part was built, and is still visible on the north side of the walls (the descent to Piazza d’Armi).


The story of the XVIIIth century Montecarlo Theatre is connected to the story of “Accademia degli Assicurati” who were the founders and owners of the same group that managed the theatre until the 1966 when the theatre was saved from demolition by popular indignation. The “Accademia degli Assicurati” was established in 1702 by 19 Montecarlo notables and received as a gift from the Conte of Bardi di Vernio Family. In the beginning, the theatre was located at nr. 60 of Via Grande. Fifty years later the rooms of Via Grande were left and on the 4 th of November of 1750 twentytwo representatives families bought the 2 adjoining houses of Agostino and Francesco Bianucci in Pescheria and gave to G. Domenico Naldi the task of building a Salon-Theatre with boxes. In 1795 the members bought another 2 houses (Giorgi and Pancani) and the old theatre was completely restored and transformed into an opera theatre with 2 series of boxes. Throughout the XIX Century the theatre was particularly active and it was attended by people who came from the neighourhood. Italian Melodramma and prose spectacles were performed on the little stage.


at the foot of the Montecarlo hill on the road to Pescia there is the ancient and splendid Pieve of San Piero in Campo which is mentioned in a parchment of IX Century (846). The present church dates back to the XII century and is a pure example of Romanic churches with 3 aisles.